Did you know? April is Autism Awareness Month. In honor of that, Melissa Schools teachers have taken the pledge to “Light It Up Blue” every Thursday this month by wearing blue autism awareness shirts.
Facts About Autism
- Autism now affects 1 in 68 children and 1 in 42 boys
- Autism prevalence figures are growing
- Autism is one of the fastest-growing developmental disorders in the U.S.
- Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average
- Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism
Why Light It Up Blue?
- Spreads awareness and understanding of autism
- Celebrates and honors the unique talents and skills of people with autism
- Brings attention to the needs of all people with autism