Melissa High School Boys’ and Girls’ Track & Field athletes earned the opportunity to compete at the highest level this past weekend, at the 2016 UIL State Meet in Austin. All represented Melissa with excellence.
Lady Cardinal Results
- Overall: Lady Cardinal Track & Field finished 8th out of 61 teams.
- 300m Hurdles: Junior Maddie Kane captured the Bronze medal, advancing from 6th to 3rd place in her year-over-year performance.
- Shot Put: Junior Priscilla Adejokun captured a 4th place finish in her first ever State Track & Field experience.
- 400m Dash: Junior Gill Gray captured a 5th place finish, one place better than last year.
- 4x400m Relay: Team comprised of Junior Karrington Lewis, Senior Elise Hawn, Junior Gill Gray, and Junior Maddie Kane captured 4th place with another thrilling, edge-of-your seat performance. Alternates were Sophomore Joy Sparks and Sophomore Erin Eichel. Each of these athletes played a key role in advancing the team to state.
- Special Thanks: To all who played a role in mentoring, teaching, coaching, parenting, and encouraging our student-athletes.
- Shot Put: Gunnar Murphy entered the competition as the only Junior alongside eight Senior competitors. Gunnar was ranked ninth with a throw of 51′ 7″ and on his fifth throw achieved a distance of 53′ 0″; his new personal best by over a foot. This put him in 7th place in the competition at only 6 inches out of 6th place.
- 100m: Tom Whitson entered the 100m competition ranked eighth out of nine. He ran his second fastest time of the year at 10.92 and captured 6th place, improving two spots and it marking only the second Boys’ athlete to point at the state meet.
- 200m: Tom Whitson entered the 200m competition ranked third out of nine. He ran a 21.85, edging out the 4th place competitor by .05 to capture 3rd place and the Bronze medal. Tom became the first to ever medal at State for the Boys’ Track & Field program.
- Bright Future: It was a great weekend for the boys at State. The future of the Melissa Boys’ Track & Field program is bright. Tom graduates this year; however, Gunnar will return next year to lead the group along with mostly underclassmen from this year’s team.
Photos & Video