Melissa Schools offers a three-hour daily Pre-Kindergarten program. Students must be 4 years of age on or before September 1 of the target school year.
The focus of the Pre-Kindergarten program is to develop oral language, prerequisite skills for emergent readers and early math concepts, and to build readiness skills for successful entry into Kindergarten.
The program is free for qualifying students.
Pre-Kindergarten Qualifying Criteria
Students must meet one of the qualifying criteria in order to register for Pre-Kindergarten:
- Unable to speak or comprehend the English language.
- Your child will be given an oral language proficiency test to determine eligibility.
- Low family income qualifies the student for the free/reduced lunch program.
- Parent must bring one of the following: current pay stub, most recent tax return, IRS form 1099, a notarized letter from employer on company letterhead listing income or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) eligibility letter with EDG (Eligibility Determination Group) number listed.
- Meet the definition of homeless. (McKinney Vento)
- Staying with a friend or relative because of loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason.
- In a hotel or motel because of loss of housing or economic hardship.
- In an unsheltered location, such as:
- a tent
- a car or truck or van
- an abandoned building
- on the streets
- at a campground
- in the park
- in a bus or train station
- other similar place
- In a place that does not have windows, doors, running water, heat, electricity, or is overcrowded.
- In a transitional housing program.
- In a shelter.
- The student lives here because of a natural disaster.
- Be a member of an active military family or be a member of an active military family whose parent was injured or killed during active military service.
- Has ever been in the foster care system in the state of Texas.
- Is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as:
- a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code;
- a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or
- an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code.
All student’s enrolling in Pre-Kindergarten must complete the eligibility form. You will present this form at the time of your campus appointment finalizing your student’s enrollment.
Print the Pre-K Eligibility Form
Do you meet one of the Pre-Kindergarten pre-qualifications?
Begin the Enrollment Process Now