The Melissa Schools Board of Trustees Election Information page is provided for introductory, informational purposes only and is not intended to be fully inclusive of all state law and local policy as it pertains to eligibility and filing requirements for the office of Trustee.
While we hope you will find the information provided here useful as a general overview and starting point, please be advised that Melissa Schools encourages all potential candidates to seek independent council in regard to eligibility and filing requirements.
May 2018 Election
The Melissa Independent School District conducted a Board of Trustee election on May 5, 2018, to elect three full-term (3 years) Board of Trustee members.
Full term places up for election are Place 3, Place 4, and Place 5.
Notice of Deadline to File Applications for Place on the Ballot – May 2018 Election
Notice of General Election – May 2018 Election
The following candidates filed to run in the May 5, 2018 general trustee election for a place on the Melissa Schools Board of Trustees.
- Jason Granger, Incumbent
- Jenifer Grace
Dates to Remember
- Wednesday, Jan. 17: First day to file application for a place on the ballot
- Friday, Feb. 16: Deadline to order the May general election and last day to file an application for a place on the ballot
- Tuesday, Feb. 20: Deadline to file declaration of write-in candidacy
- Thursday, April 5: Last day to register to vote or make a change of address effective for the May election
- Thursday, April 5 – Monday, April 16: Notice of Election is published
- Monday, April 23 – Tuesday, May 1: Early Voting (more information below)
- Saturday, May 5: Election Day
Local polling places for the May 5, 2018 election include Melissa City Hall, located at 3411 Barker Ave., Melissa, TX 75454, and the Collin County Elections Department, located at 2010 Redbud Blvd. #102, McKinney, TX 75069.
Early Voting Dates & Times:
- April 23, 24, 25, 27, 28 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- April 26 from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- April 30 and May 1 from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Alternatively, voters may vote at any polling place contracted by the Collin County Elections Administration. See the links below for more information.
The voter registration deadline for the May 5, 2018 election is Thursday, April 5.
Am I Registered to Vote? Register to Vote Apply for a Mail Ballot
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Board of Trustee Election?
The Melissa Schools Board of Trustees consists of seven members serving terms of three years, with an election held annually. One-third of the terms, or as close to one-third as possible, expires each year. The body of state and local policy that pertains most directly to the Board of Trustees consists of 24 sections. For complete access to those governing policies, please click here.
Who is eligible for candidacy?
To be eligible for candidacy for the office of Trustee, elected or appointed, an individual must:
- Be a United States citizen;
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have not been determined to be totally or partially mentally incapacitated;
- Have not been convicted of a felony; and
- Meet state and local residency requirements outlined in state and local policy.
- Be registered to vote.
For complete access to the state and local policies that govern eligibility, please click here.
Where can I find additional election information and resources?
- For answers to questions on financial reporting or ethics, you may contact the Texas Ethics Commission at 1-800-325-8506 or visit their website at www.ethics.state.tx.us.
- Information regarding elections can be found on the Secretary of State’s website at www.sos.state.tx.us.
- For local assistance, please contact Sarah Dezern at 972-837-2411 or email@example.com.